Friday, September 21, 2012

Distractions?

This day and age, let's face it, is nothing like 10, 15, 20..etc years ago. Sometimes I like to daydream me living when times were simpler. When things didn't go so fast. When this world didn't have so many problems as it does now. And when most everything and everyone was brought up on a biblical foundation. Most of all, away from all the distractions that we have so many these days. . . I'll give y'all a good example { Technology }. Now don't get me wrong, technology has helped so many people in a so many ways. My computer and iPod have been a blessing to me. I have had the chance to share my beliefs to others, help minister to those willing to listen, and have made dear friends, all from technology! But technology has also brought a lot of wrong in this world. I won't go into every single thing that it has brought bad into this world but more of one issue that disturbs me very much. One of the biggest things that God didn't intend was for us to be distracted from growing closer with our Savior  or hurting others with our devisees (computers, phones, iPods, ..etc). So many people ( even Christians ) are being taken in by the things of this world that we forget what our main priority in life should be. "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." ( Romans 12:2...one of my fav. ) 

I recently read this quote, "Have you prayed as much as talked about it?" Or "Compare the time you spend on your electronics today and then how much time you spent in God's word today". Because "you can't watch TV for three hours and then read three minutes of the bible and expect to grow spiritually" (another quote I found). And if we do spend a lot of time on our electronics, how are we spending it? We need to make sure that everything we do brings glory to God. Have your words hurt or healed? What do our conversations mostly consist of? Are they pleasing to God? We only have one short life on this earth to make a difference. We need to continually ask ourselves "Is what or who I am talking about pleasing to you, Lord? Will this hurt or lift someone up? "But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken." ( Matthew 12:36 ).  

I made the decision to use the technology I have, to make a difference in this world. I am not going to use it just because everyone else has "this or that", but I'm using it to glorify God and bring people to see truth. I have promised God that I will not use technology to hurt others but lift others up in Christ. "These are the things you are to do: Speak the truth to each other, and render true and sound judgment in your courts;" ( Zechariah 8:16 ). . .  As you may well know, prayer is essential for a Christian's life. Having that one on one time with God is so very important. Even in prayer time, there are distractions. Satan will use even the simplest things to stop us form growing closer with our Lord. I have learned, to truly get deep into the word and prayer without distractions, I must seclude myself with just my bible and a quiet room.  . . Just God and me. Leaving out any devices that would be a distraction. I mean, if I had my iPod sitting right next to me while I was reading the word, then hear a "tweet" or "ding" or see my screen light up because so and so liked my picture or left a comment. I'm human, curiosity would get the best of me as I wandered "hmm, wandered who texted or tweeted me, what did he/she say?" and then my distraction would break. so because of that, I make a point to put away everything that would break my focus with the Lord.


God will see what effort you are trying to get closer with Him. How you don't want to be distracted from Him. That a relationship with Him is more important than anything else. So if He knows how much you really want that relationship with him, then He is going to grant you more opportunities to be used by Him. 

I will leave ya'll with a favourite song of mine! I hope y'all enjoy it as much as I do. It describes just what I was trying to say in this post.. plus, the lyrics = Amazing! 




Have a blessed weekend!!



5 comments:

  1. I absolutely relate... May I say it is very refreshing to witness your zeal for the very intimate one on one relationship with God.. may your retreats alone with the Father be a sweet rejuvenation to your soul. Making it easier to ensure the attacks that Satan brings your way.. It is evident that God is using you for His majestic plan.. Timothy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen sister. This is so true! We need to be content with God alone. We should not, because we do not, need entertainment to ”complete” us. If told otherwise, that is a lie from the devil. Although there is nothing wrong with technology if it's used to glorify God, it can become idolized if it's used to glorify our fleshly desires, like you said. May the Lord bless and keep us. May we keep our eyes on Him alone! <3

    -Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  3. - I treasure each time I get to spend alone w/ my heavenly Father. Ty Mr. Timothy for commenting. :) I take comfort in Him in everything that comes my way.

    - You're absolutely right Brandon! Thank you for your comment! It is so true that technology can be used to do wonderful things if it brings God glory. I believe that's what you and I want both! Proclaiming Christ in what we say and do! Blessings and prayer to you brother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This exactly what I have been struggling with lately - achieving the right balance in my life between technology and everything else, AND keeping God absolutely FIRST. (My latest blog post tells a bit more about my struggles;)) So anyways, I just wanted to say, THANK YOU, my beautiful sister in Christ, for sharing this. <3 It's just the encouragement that I needed. =)
    Love you girl!! Keep on glorifying our Savior and King! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!!