Monday, September 3, 2012

~ A True Friend Is. . . ~

This Post pretty much describes itself by its title. :D  I believe the Lord really wanted me to type this post up to share with others. You may wonder,  "How do you know He was wanting you to type a post about friendship". . . At first, I wasn't really sure what my next post was going to be on. I usually wait until the Lord gives me the words and things to type on. I look to Him. I type what I know He want's me to type. Well, recently quite a few people ( followers, friends ) mentioned to me that I should really think about doing a post on friendship. After them telling me that, I was like, "Lord, thank you for laying this on my heart". :) Each time, He has His own way of showing me what He wants me to write about. 

First, I'd like to start out by saying that apparently, this is going to be typed from a Christian's perspective of  the definition of friendship. Not through the world's eyes but through Christ's, and what He sees as what a true friend should be. . . There is a difference between the world's and God's idea of friendship. So here is what a true Christian friendship should look like. . .

I will first start out by writing the type of people God wants His children to spend most of their time with. If you are a true Christian, then you should be spending most of your time with fellow believers. I am not saying that you should never be around unbelievers, because then we would never be able to be a light in this fallen world or ever witness to anyone. What I mean is, we should be carful with who we hang around and spend most of our time with, or who we call friends. 1 Corinthians 15:33 says "Do not be misled, 'Bad company corrupts good character' ".  This verse isn't just talking about thieves, alcoholics, and criminals... it is also saying, do not spend time with those who speak wrong about others, those who gossip, blaspheme God's name, curse, and act as hypocrites. Because I have personally seen people who were persuaded into the worldly acts because they started spending more time with those who did those things that I stated up above. "Walk with the wise and become wise, for a companion of fools suffers harm. ( Proverbs 13:20 )"  Even I had to deal with that.. I mean, who hasn't fallen into sin? But I asked the Lord to forgive me, and He did! . . . I had to learn that you have to be very careful when choosing friends. "One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother." (Proverbs 18:24)  . . . If you want to have a lasting true friendship, then both people will have to have the same priorities in life. That is to honor God in all that we do and give Him the glory. So what makes a lasting true friendship? . . .



Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid ofall bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. (Ephesians 4:29-32) 

. . . . .

"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. - John 15:12-15

We should have a love for each other like Christ loves us. We should be willing to do anything for our friends. like Jesus died on the cross for us, we should be willing to do the same. . . 

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

Love is one of the most important things in a friendship. We should love our friends as Christ loves His church. And our friends should have that same passion. So. . .

{ a true friend will be kind, not easily enticed by jealousy, does not dishonor others or is easily angered. A true friend will not hold on to past wrongs but forgive. True friends will not delight in doing wrong but takes pleasure in doing right. A true friend will always defend for what's true and right, always hopes and prays with us for God's will. . . A true friend's love for each other will never fail, because Christ's love never fails us. }

. . . . .

I'm sure that we all have had broken friendships. Many of my friends have told me that they had to go through falling out with friends as well. . . Why does this happen so often? Because Satan is out to destroy anything and anyone in his path. If you had to go through that and believe that you were right in Christ's eyes, maybe it was God's will that you be separated from the people you parted with. We don't see the future and we can't see God's plan in our life ahead of time. He does. He could be saving you from more pain, heartache, or danger by taking you out of those people's lives. We just need to learn to trust God's will in our lives and rely on Him to bring the right type of people into our lives to become true, godly friends.

 I have had to learn this and it has brought me closer to my Jesus. I made my Lord to be my truest, best friend. Whom I put first in my life. And let me tell you something people, Jesus Christ is the bestest friend you could ever ask for. :) He will never leave nor forsake you. He is there when you have good and bad times. He will never let you down when everyone else in your life does. He is our Saviour, Father, King, Holy One. One who will never get tired of us expressing our feelings and He will always be there to hear our cries. All of this while He embraces us in His arms. . . Who can ask for a better friend than Him? :)

 After I gave everything to Him and put all my trust in His will for my life; when I decided to let Him take over and decide who would be taken out of my life and who He would put in it; then, just then did I realize that before, I wanted things my way but God had other plans for my life. He gave me understanding, and through everything the Lord allowed to happen in my life, He has brought true, Christian friends into my life. I couldn't be more thankful for how the Lord has worked in and through my life.



I'll end this post with a heart felt prayer. . .


Dear heavenly Father,
I want to take this time to thank you for
the amazing people you put into my life. 
They have all truly been a blessing and I can't
keep from thanking You enough for them.
For placing them in my life at just the right time.

Because Lord, your timing is always perfect and 
and I now understand why you allow things to happen
 to people who truly love You and want to follow
 Your will in their lives.
Thank you Lord for never leaving my side. 
For being me closest Friend in even the hardest times.
...
Lord, please mold me into the person You want me to be. 
Please use me as much as You can to be a light in this world. 
Above all, everything I say and do, let it honor and glorify You Lord. 
And help me make a difference in this world I live in. 

In Jesus' name I pray. . . Amen
 








8 comments:

  1. Haaa you do exactly the same thing... My posts are very unscheduled waiting on God for the timing, topic, and audience... I also raise both hands palms facing upward while asking God to place or take away anyone or anything according to his will.. It isn't always easy because I find myself trying to close my hand when I start putting others before Him... Friend... I appreciate you..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right. Sometimes it is hard to accept God's will in our life.. Especially who and what He will take out of our lives. . .But God has a far better future in store for His children when we submit to His will. Because His will is perfect and everything happens for a reason and in His timing. And in His timing, He will show us that every hard thing we had to go through, for every person He took out our life, and for every thing He had allowed, brought us to a place where we wouldn't ask for it any different. We will understand His will. He is so amazing and will give glory to Him no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you ever consider writing a post explaining the trials and how they were used by GOD to grow you. I'm positive I would love and learn from it. Please keep up the posts here and in instagram! -P. Knowles (your faithful instagram follower) :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!! :D I think it would probably be best if I didn't do a post explaining the trials I had to go through with friendships. Because those people read pretty much all of my blog posts. I wouldn't want to come across as gossiping even though that wouldn't be my intensions at all. I don't want to do anything that God might question me why I did. But I will share this with you. I had to go through a lot... have been Betrayed, been mocked, made fun of, and wronged in a lot of ways. Satan tries everything to desecrate the godly. He ruins friendships and attacks the ones that are vulnerable to turning from the faith. He may have split up a friendship I had but he knows he will never turn me away from my faith in Jesus Christ. The one thing Satan didn't know was that through everything that he did to try and destroy my friendship, he only brought me closer with my Jesus.
      God allows Satan to do things to us just like in the book of Job. To see if we would keep firm in our faith. We should always have our guard up. Always be ready for anything that is thrown at us. :) But this right here is what we should really be doing for those who "were" called our friends; { PRAY for them } . . . Prayer can do a lot.. It is the most powerful thing you could do. God always hears our cries and wants the best for His children. I pray that the Lord will show all who have wronged so many in the worst ways, to turn from their sin and fall at the feet of Jesus, asking for forgiveness. And trust me in this area, He will answer your prayers if you ask them according to His will. He has before and will continue to do so. Maybe not all at once, but in time, He will.
      I hope I was a help in even the littlest way. And thank you for being a faithful follower of mine!! :D

      I pray God blesses you P. Knowles!

      Delete
  4. Hey Rachel, I really enjoyed reading your blog today. I think you have inspired me to start a blog like this, so I can share my small group lessons with more people. You have a beautiful spirit, and it is refreshing to see the way that you love God so much. I wish that you lived close to me, because I would love to have a friend like you around..and I'm not trying to sound "flirty" or anything like that, lol. It really does help your relationship with God so much when you have Christian friends around filling you up. One example of friendship that I really like from the Bible is the friendship between King David and Saul's son Jonathan (1 Samuel 18:1-4 and 1 Samuel 20:41-42 are a few verses that give good details about their love and friendship). 1 Samuel 18:1:1b, "Jonathan became one in spirit with David, and he loved him as he loved himself." If you know their story, their friendship was really awesome. I wonder how hard it must've been for Jonathan, having his father constantly trying to kill David, and for him (Saul) always doing crazy things like throwing a spear at him while he was eating dinner. Jonathan had no interest in trying to maintain what would be end up being his kingdom after Saul died, because he loved David and loved the plans that the Lord made for David and for all of Israel. That is a great illustration of what you described in your blog entry. Can't wait for your next post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you enjoyed reading my blog! And so happy that I inspired you to start one of your own! It's great to share with people how God works in your lives or like you said, share your small group lessons. I can't get enough of hearing how God's working in people's lives. :) Oh, I always loved the friendship between David and Jonathan! Even when Saul tried everything to kill David. That was true friendship.

    Thanks again Ryan for your comment and for visiting!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel, hi... Remember me? :) ha ha I pray that God lays the subject material for another beautiful blog post... timothy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I say I love you! This post brought tears to my eyes, the heart aches I went thru of not knowing who my true friends were! But this put in a new look! Im blessed to know you!
    Im Glad God healed my heart by bringing me Godly inspirational friends like you!
    - Love always, Sarah Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!!