Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Day 25: A Recipe

I'm going to share a recipe that we use a lot in the summer. Our Zucchini bread. . Don't let the name of it discourage you. It is quite tasty. In the summer, we get tons of zucchinis and didn't know what to do with all of them at first. We tried freezing them but it wasn't the same when you went to cook it . . so why not make breads and freeze them! So here ya go!

Ingredients


  • 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup apple sauce
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups grated zucchini
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, nutmeg, baking soda, cinnamon and sugar. In a separate bowl, combine oil, apple sauce, eggs, water, zucchini and lemon juice. Mix wet ingredients into dry, add nuts and fold in. Bake in 2 standard loaf pans, sprayed with nonstick spray, for 1 hour, or until a tester comes out clean. 

I got this recipe from somewhere but I sort of made it my own by adding some ingredients and taking some away. Like the original recipe had way more sugar than what I typed here and how I make it. I was like "there is no way I am putting that much sugar" Lol.. and it called for more oil but I cut it in half and substituted it with apple sauce. works like a charm and is way healthier.  =) Next time I make some, I may experiment with a different all-natural sweetener instead of sugar. And I might try to use all applesauce instead of oil, but I haven't got a clue what it will come out like. So if you try this recipe, I would just make it like I typed it. haha ;)

5 comments:

  1. Oh Yay! I've been wanting to try zucchini bread but didn't have a recipe. Now I do! =)
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your zucchini bread tastes awesome! But I never pictured myself eating anything with zucchini in it. :) Thanks for sharing this amazing recipe…Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I was hoping you were going to put this one. I knew it! It is delicious guys!!! :) love it, make me more soon Rachel! ;) KLA

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHYYYY???...You gave away our secret recipe Rachel!..lol...Jk... Hope you like KattyRae! ...It's my fave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well just be glad i didn't give away your amazing lemon bar recipe or any of our other "secret family recipes" Lol.

      Delete

I love your comments!!